Welcome to the St. John School Library where we love to learn and read!
Dear St. John Families,
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about how to obtain reading material for your children during distance learning. I have linked below several ways you can provide your children with a rich reading experience while libraries are closed. Distance learning links are at the bottom of the page.
Best wishes, Lisa Longton
BOOKIN’ AROUND GREENWOOD
A community book cover scavenger hunt, brought to you by the Greenwood branch of the Seattle Public Library and the Phinney Neighborhood Associaton. Look for 25+ book cover posters displayed at The Greenwood Library, local business, and community windows throughout our neighborhood. Here is a link to the full directions on how you can participate! Can you find the poster at St. John?
SUMMER ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR GREENWOOD LIBRARIANS!!
Click through to view the Google slideshow (with audio) about the Summer of Learning Program at the Seattle Public Library!
Resources for students and families
Links to the Seattle Public Library:
- Libby – App to access eBooks and Audiobooks from the Seattle Public Library
- Find a variety of digital media at the Seattle Public Library. Click here for Seattle Public Library
Links to learning websites with read alouds or books:
- Get Epic a wonderful online resource for books, learning videos and quizzes. (Free for 30 days)
- KidLitTV offers read-alouds (mainly primary grades)
- Storyline online
- Scholastic at Home Learning
Links to author events:
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems! Updated daily at 10am starting Monday, March 16th
- Author Ben Clanton (author of the Narwhal and Jelly books) joins Emily Arrow for songs, stories and drawing!
- Kate Messner – author of the Ranger in Time series as well as numerous other books (one of our favorite authors in the St. John library) has compiled read alouds by many authors. Writing prompts and drawing tutorials are also included. (mainly for intermediate grades)
- Dav Pilkey (Author of Dogman and Captain Underpants) will present on Scholastic.com beginning April 1st
- Do you like the Magic Treehouse series? Join Jack and Annie on Magic Tree House Home Adventures!
Other links that you may like:
- Join Typing Club to get some extra typing practice.
- Go on a virtual field trip to a museum.
- Love LEGO? 30 Days of Lego Play!
- Like to Cook? Check out the cooking “camp” skills booklet from Raddish!
- Do you miss talking about books in the Library? (I do!) Listen to a Bookclub For Kids podcast! (Intermediate grades) Also, has some great book suggestions.
- Are You a Washington Husky Fan? Earn Husky gear for reading! (If you have been reading everyday you may go back and fill in the days that you read before this posting).
- Do you enjoy reading Harry Potter? Check out author J.K Rowling’s page Hogwarts at Home
- Check out the Pacific Science Center – Curiosity at Home
- (NEW) Do you enjoy folding Origami? Do you want to learn how to fold Origami? Try out some instructions at this origami website.